Breast Cancer Treatment
Breast cancer refers to cancers occurring in the breast tissues, developed due to uncontrolled division of different cells of the breast. Bangalore, sadly, is known to be the breast cancer capital of India. Being diagnosed with breast cancer can be quite devastating for a woman. For this reason, we have invested ourselves in building a dedicated women's oncology setup that manages all cancers related to women. Studies show that early breast cancer treatment has better outcome and prognosis, which is possible only if there is good awareness among women about breast cancer symptoms and evaluation methods. With organ site specialists who have extensive experience in breast oncology and imaging, Cytecare provides accurate diagnosis for better clinical judgement regarding therapeutic choices.
Cytecare provides comprehensive services, including minimally invasive procedures and surgical techniques designed for minimal post-operative discomfort and issues such as lymphaedema. The holistic evaluation and treatment plan includes breast cancer risk assessment and screening, breast imaging, breast cancer surgery (lumpectomy, mastectomy), breast reconstruction, and support services for women living with breast cancer.
We have an on-going commitment towards breast cancer prevention and early detection. Early
detection of breast cancer allows the best outcome, both in terms of survival and quality of life. Hence, we provide comprehensive and risk-stratified, individualised screening for breast Cancer, in addition to detailed risk assessment and genetic screening for women with family history of breast cancer.
With the state-of-the-art technology and the latest digital tomosynthesis, our team of doctors and technicians minimise the discomfort during screening procedures. Our oncoplastic surgeon and radiologists are specially trained to read and interpret mammography, ensuring accurate reading, diagnosis and lower patient recall.
We provide the following screening services
- Breast Cancer Risk Assessment
- Clinical Breast Examination
- 2D Breast Tomosynthesis
- Breast Ultrasound
- Breast MRI
- Image guided Biopsy (FNAC)
- Genetic counselling for patients with history of familial/hereditary breast cancer
- Genetic Screening /Biomarker testing (BRCA1, 2, Hormone assay)
Cytecare Breast Oncology team highly recommends that women over the age of 40 have an annual breast examination.
While cancer may be asymptomatic in early stages, one must always be aware of the symptoms to recognise them as and when they become visible. One must consult a specialist if any of the symptoms are observed. Usually, a combination of the below tests will be conducted for best results:
- Physical examination of the breast:The doctor will do a thorough physical examination of the breast and armpits to check for hardened tissues, lumps, enlarged lymph nodes and altered shape, in addition to assessing the size and colour of the breasts and armpits.
- In case any sign of abnormality is found, such as a lump, following tests are prescribed for a clear idea of its nature. If a patient suspects a risk and wishes to get screened, doctors are likely to recommend some imaging tests. These tests are required to detect abnormalities that can go undetected by touch and observation:
- Breast Imaging
- Ultrasonography- Breast
- Mammography (3D Tomosynthesis)
- Breast MRI: An MRI is used to produce detailed pictures of the inside of the breast. A breast MRI is not regularly used for breast cancer screening, and may be recommended for women with higher risk of breast cancer. While a mammogram is the standard method for diagnosing early-stage breast cancer, an MRI may be done in certain instances to complement it.
- Fine needle aspiration (FNAC)
- Stereo/core biopsy
- Genetic tests for BRCA1, BRCA2, Her2,
- Hormone receptor test Progesterone and Estrogen Receptors
Breast CANCER TREATMENT
Surgery is considered to play a curative role in most cancers including breast cancer. Complete tumour resection is the main goal of surgery. At Cytecare, we have dedicated oncoplastic breast surgeons to perform breast surgery. We recommend that patients always choose a specialist who specialises in breast surgery. At Cytecare, we provide state-of-the-art surgery with exceptional post-surgical care, to minimise lymphedema, nausea, and vomiting. We offer excellent wound care so our patients, who have had lumpectomy and mastectomy, are able to recover faster owing to the lower risk of infection.
We provide a range of surgical services that include
- Axillary node dissection
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Lumpectomy/breast conservation
- Total simple mastectomy
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Skin sparing mastectomy
- Nipple sparing mastectomy
- Nipple and areola sparing mastectomy
- Scar sparing mastectomy
- Oncoplastic surgery
- Simultaneous reconstruction
- Staged reconstruction
- Preventive/prophylactic mastectomy
- Radiation Oncology
- Medical Oncology
- Palliative Care